Are you quite set in your running routine but sometimes feel like you're still not achieving your goals?
Well, to be honest, most people run because they want to achieve a trimmer body and/or, they want to lose that excess fat. They would be happier if they could find an efficient training program that will bring about an improvement in their goals and fitness level.
If that sounds like you, then consider adding High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to your training schedule.
HIIT training can be your best bet in this situation. Let us explain why.
Perceiving the Concept of HIIT
When you choose a HIIT training routine, you are combining an anaerobic and aerobic level of the intensity into one workout.
Your entire workout session could last for about 20 to 30 minutes. However, some workouts only have a time span of about 4 minutes.
The way HIIT works is that during the high-intensity phase, all the energy stored in the muscles is consumed by the anaerobic system. This workout phase is the short-burst of activity, before lowering the intensity.
The by–product of the anaerobic metabolism is the lactic acid. When the lactic acid builds up in the body, you build an oxygen debt.
When you enter the recovery phase, then the lungs and the heart work together to repay the oxygen debt. The lactic acid also breaks down during this phase.
Now, the oxygen that is repaid back is used by the aerobic system to convert your carbohydrates into the energy. Meaning, it will now become easier for you to indulge in HIIT training for a longer periods without worrying about fatigue.
HIIT your Goals
- Brings about positive physiological changes: Wondering how HIIT helps to improve your running goals? Well, the answer is, this training introduces physiological changes within your body. The increased cardiovascular efficiency means that oxygen can be delivered to the working muscles with greater ease. You will also develop more tolerance for the lactic acid build-up. The benefit of these changes is that you experience a significant improvement in your speed and performance.
- Burns calories: If you are eager to achieve weight loss, then this is the workout for you! HIIT helps you burn maximum calories. When you indulge in this training, your body has to work a lot harder to recover. Once you complete the HIIT training session, the body produces about 450% growth hormone over standard aerobic training. This hormone growth plays a crucial role in burning the calories.
- Brings improvement in your health: Most people adopt a running regime because they are looking forward to a significant improvement in their health. Well, interval training gives you the same set of benefits. It reduces your cholesterol level and can help you get rid of inflammatory problems amongst other things.
If you want to achieve the maximum output with HIIT, then there is a certain set of rules you need to follow.
Warming up your body and muscles is mandatory before you take the plunge into HIIT training to avoid injury.
You should combine HIIT with your running routine. For example, when you start your workout, you can first run for about two minutes.
The most important rule though, is you should build up the repetitions over time. Increasing the challenge of your workout is vital throughout the program to improve your fitness and performance.
The selection of the appropriate workouts also matters when you opt for HIIT
- Stair running: Rather than regular running, you can opt for stair running. This workout helps to build up your endurance, cardiovascular fitness, power, and speed. Running stairs can also help you to develop your foot speed. You should contend with the fact that when you are running the stairs, this helps to target the largest muscles in the body. This includes the calves, quads, and glutes.
- Speed drills: Well, the speed drills are also an ideal training program when you wish to achieve maximum fitness. When you indulge in speed drills, it helps to strengthen your leg muscles. For regular runners, having stronger leg muscles can prevent injury.
- Shuttle runs: When you indulge in the shuttle run, it helps to improve two things, agility, and speed. It is important to set up the markers when opting for the shuttle run. You will need to sprint from one marker to another. You also need to do six repetitions in one go.
- Bootcamp workouts: You could also look into Bootcamp workouts, they can be an excellent choice for interval training. Before commencing with a Bootcamp workout, you need to start with a warm-up session. You should do this workout for around 30 to 40 minutes. A typical boot camp workout includes lunges, push-ups, and squats.
- Agility Drills: To improve your coordination and sports skills, consider the agility drills. By combining agility drills with a running session, this will offer you additional benefits. The most useful agility drills are Plyometric Jump Box Drills. They include jumps and hops. Also, the agility drills help to develop strength.
There are many benefits to including HIIT in your training program to improve your running goals. Make sure that before you undertake any form of HIIT training exercises, you develop a more detailed understanding of it. The better you understand this training, the more you will enjoy these exercises.
Try a HIIT session today and enhance your maximum level of fitness!
Over to You
Have you added HIIT into your training program? Have you seen the benefits or found best practices? Share your tips and stories with the KYMIRA community.
If you are interested in increasing your running stamina check out our blog Run Faster For Longer .
If you are interested in the science behind improved performance read this blog on CardioRespiratory Endurance .
For increased mobility, flexibility and recovery why not try out these dynamic stretches .